Since I injured my back recently, I couldn’t think of anything but of painful graphic design and naturally ended up looking for Stefan Sagmeister’s works.
Stefan Sagmeister – an Australian graphic designer and a typographer, involved in stunning and fascinating projects especially in the musical industry – he has designed the albums of Rolling Stones, David Byrne, Lou Reed, Aerosmith, and Pat Metheny. Sagmeister’s outstanding work for bands has received four Grammy nominations, and has won nearly all the international design awards available.
One of the most renown works of his is for AIGA poster in 1999; Sagmeister literary cut words into his flesh for both startling way to communicate his message and to make an unforgettable lettering composition. The self-promoting piece remembered for itself months afterwards; he had scarring that would show up under a tan.
Simply unforgettable. Ouch.
His book, Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far, includes a list of 20 maxims. Enjoy:
1. Helping other people helps me.
2. Having guts always works out for me.
3. Thinking that life will be better in the future is stupid. I have to live now.
4. Organising a charity group is surprisingly easy.
5. Being not truthful always works against me.
6. Everything I do always comes back to me.
7. Assuming is stifling.
8. Drugs feel great in the beginning and become a drag later on.
9. Over time I get used to everything and start taking for granted.
10. Money does not make me happy.
11. My dreams have no meaning.
12. Keeping a diary supports personal development.
13. Trying to look good limits my life.
14. Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doses.
15. Worrying solves nothing.
16. Complaining is silly. Either act or forget.
17. Everybody thinks they are right.
18. If I want to explore a new direction professionally, it is helpful to try it out for myself first.
19. Low expectations are a good strategy.
20. Everybody who is honest is interesting.
Ad Squad 2014